Lockport Public Library
Library Budget Vote
2017/2018 proposed budget
Thursday, April 6, 2017
9:00 a.m.—8:00 p.m.
Community Meeting Room
You must be a registered voter in the Lockport City School District to vote.
Public Information Meeting
Thursday, March 23, 2017
Community Meeting Room
2017/2018 Budget Information for Voters
Tax levy increase from 2016/2017: $20,857
Total request from tax levy: $1,456,911
Total budget from all sources: $1,717,407
Total budget decrease from all sources: $283
(See budget detail.)
The proposed increase is $20,857 (+1.45%) from property tax support over 2016/2017 appropriation.
The proposed increase, if approved by voters, will be applied to increased operating costs, maintaining library collections and services, computer access, library programs, access to collections, and services via our web site.
How is the money used?
To sustain library operations and provide services.
176,384 people visited the library.
30,485 people have library cards.
316,077 items were borrowed (does not include digital).
15,725 reference questions were answered.
15,524 adults, children, teens, and families attended 684 library programs.
Library services include:
- A broad collection of materials including a variety of formats: books, large print books, CDs, DVDs & Blu-rays, audio books, magazines, and downloadable e-books, magazines, music, and audio books, as well as personalized service to help you find information.
- Access to the Internet and online databases, including a wireless connection for people with electronic devices.
- 24/7 reference services, allowing patrons to submit questions electronically 24 hours per day.
- A community meeting room that serves over 80 organizations at no cost.
- An offering of programs at no cost for children, teens, and adults.
- A community gathering place to read, think, create, and communicate.
About the vote:
The Small Cities School District law allows you to vote on any increase in the annual appropriation from tax levy for the Lockport Public Library. The vote is held every year. This is not a new tax. The library has always received most of its funding from taxes.
The library budget proposition:
The Lockport Public Library is a school district library, which means that it is chartered to serve the same geographic location as the school district. It receives most of its funding from taxes raised by the tax levy. The Library Board of Trustees has proposed an increase of $20,857 in the tax levy to support the library's operating budget for fiscal year 2017/2018. This is the amount allowable under the Tax Cap. You are voting "yes" or "no" on the proposed increase.
The Lockport Public Library is audited annually. The audit is available under FOIL.